The Importance Of Reading
Impact Of TV On Reading Skills
· Children who watch four or more hours of TV per day have poorer reading skills than their peers who watch less TV.
Impact Of Having Reading Materials In The Home
· Reading proficiency increases if the four types of reading materials (books, magazines, newspapers, and encyclopedias) are present in the home.
· States where homes have more reading materials generally have higher reading proficiency.
· One of the national poverty indicators is having less than 25 pieces of print material in the home.
Reading Proficiency And Prison Rates (Adult and Juvenile)
· Over 70% of adult prison inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level.
· 85% of children in the juvenile court system cannot read.
· When inmates learn to read, only 15% of them are ever arrested again.
Lack Of Reading Skills Affect Our:
· Healthcare - low literacy averages $73 million per year in direct costs
· Delinquency and Violence
· Income & Employment - 75% of unemployed adults have reading and writing difficulties
Who Can Make A Difference??
Every time you read to a child,
YOU are making a difference in their life!!!
Back to BooksKidsLove.com Home Page
National Center For Family Literacy
Family Literacy Centers, Inc.
“America’s Smallest School – the Family,” ETS, Princeton, NJ
Federal Interagency Forum on Child And Family Statistics—2002
Center For Media Education